At our December 3rd BBF Regional Council meeting, we hosted a Substance Use Disorder professional development opportunity in collaboration with the Journey to Recovery Center and Oak Leaf and Pine Counseling. The workshop was presented by Carol Smith from Oak Leaf and Pine Counseling, PLC. We had 24 community partners attend and learn more about this important topic. This two hour training provided basic concepts related to substance abuse and the impact this issue has on our community. The learning objectives for this training were as follows:
- Participants will be able to identify and discuss concerns about substance abuse and the current situation of substance use in our community
- Participants will be able to list common drug types
- Participants will identify potential symptoms associated with commonly abused drugs
- Participants will be able to identify services available for persons with substance abuse issues
- Participants will identify barriers to receiving assistance
- Participants will feel more prepared to hold a conversation with someone regarding services and seeking help
On January 7, 2018 – we hosted a Follow up Discussion on Substance Use Disorders Programs and Services. We had 7 panel members representing Vermont Department of Health, North Country Hospital, Lund program at DCF-FSD in Newport, Journey to Recovery Center, Oak Leaf and Pine Counseling, BAART Program in Newport (medication-assisted treatment facility) and the Newport Police Department. Each panel member shared information about their programs/ services addressing prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery services and the eligibility criteria (if any).
- A recommendation as to next step was an “ask” for BBF to monitor the impact of legalizing marijuana in Vermont. Note: Other states where it has been legalized have being impacted years later by the negative implications associated with this drug’s use.
Upcoming BBF Regional Council Meetings:
The next BBF Regional Council meeting is scheduled for February 4, 2019 from 1-2:30 at the Goodrich Memorial library in Newport. The agenda will include presentations on the ‘How Are Vermont’s Young Children and Families (HAVYCF) Report’ and the Building Vermont’s Future from the Child Up Think Tank Report’ followed by a facilitated conversation.
In March, we are hosting the BBF Regional Council meeting on March 11th rather than March 4th due to the school break. It will be held from 1:00-2:30 PM at the Goodrich Memorial library in Newport. The agenda will include planning for our annual Dabble day event as well as updates from NEKCA Parent Child Center North.
Dabble Day is scheduled for Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 at the Coventry School. It is a fun, free event for families with young children rich in resources. It is an opportunity for children to learn while having fun participating in a variety of activities hosted by community partners.
Other Important News: We are in the process of hiring a BBF Coordinator for the Northeast Kingdom to serve both Orleans/Northern Essex and Caledonia/Southern Essex.